The French Press has been a staple of home brewing methods for the better part of a century. Its simple and elegant design uses an immersion process that steeps coffee, producing a full-bodied, rich cup. The French Press creates an exceptional brew with a richness that is seldom achieved with other methods.
Ratio: 50 grams of coffee to 800 grams (28 oz) of water
Brewing to share.
Approximate Brew Time: 4 min
- Fill up your kettle and heat water. (Heat extra water for heating and cleaning.)
- Grind 50 grams (~6.5 tbsp) of freshly roasted coffee. (Grind size should be medium-coarse/about the consistency of sea salt.)
- Add your coffee to the French Press.
- Shake lightly to level the grounds.
- Start timer.
- Slowly pour water to fill the vessel. (Fill to about 1 1/2 inches below the top of the glass.)
- After 1 1/2 minutes, stir lightly to break the crust.
- Use a spoon to skim off the top layer of grounds. After 4 minutes, insert the plunger and slowly press down with gentle pressure.
- Once the plunger has reached the bottom, your coffee is ready.